Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Waterfall

We are fortunate enough to live within 10 minutes of Snoqualmie Falls. The power kept going on and off today so we, or rather I, decided that we should leave the house and go hiking. The Falls are so absolutely beautiful during any storm.

We quickly got ready to go in the dark, got in the suburban and off we went. Five minutes later, S decided she was really, really hungry.

Right.

Detour.

We drove up to the Ridge and went to Starbucks. Starbucks is my friend. Perry calls me a coffee snob. That may be.

$20 later, each child had something to drink and eat. I want to make sure each child has an addiction to Starbucks. Just kidding. Sort of. Actually, all the kids love coffee and I look forward to the day when they are a little older and we sit around talking and drinking coffee.
We piled back into the suburban and drove the few minutes, well, it would have been a few minutes if I hadn't missed the turn, and arrived at The Falls.





The second we stepped out of the suburban S was terrified. There were HUGE trees swaying in the wind and she felt like she was going to blow over. I assured her that it was just very windy, that a "tornado" was not going to sweep her up and that, in fact, there wasn't even really a tornado! E, being really helpful and not realizing her terror, caming running at her screaming, "The wind, the wind, it's going to get us." She then attached herself to my body. I peeled her off me and gave her to E so he could assure her that he was just playing.





















We arrived at the observation deck. The Falls were so breathtaking. The spray was blowing in our faces. It was FREEZING. The boys and I turned our faces into the spray.
















We went down the stairs to find the trail down to the falls. To our dismay, the trail was closed due to hazardous conditions. We decided to hike on the trails that lead to The Lodge and over the road instead. Usually we just go down the trail so we hadn't seen all the little acloves and observation areas that they have.
















We had a really good, but cold and wet, (did I mention it was raining?) time and raced back to the suburban. We arrived back home safe and sound. The power was back on and school work was waiting for us. Tonight we have a parent meeting for basketball.



















No comments:

Post a Comment