Friday, January 9, 2009

Is This A Trick Question?

Perry and I have been married for many years and, as such, have come up with our own euphemisms so as not to offend one another greatly. So, if he thinks I'm PMS'ing or being of delicate sensibilities, before he'll answer a question, he'll look me in the eye and say, "Is this a trick question?" If I answer, "yes" he'll say what he thinks I want to hear. If I answer, "no" he'll answer honestly.


Sometime in the last few years I cooked an experimental dinner. When Perry arrived home I heated his dinner up in the microwave and served it to him. The kids and I sat at the table staring at him as he ate. After a few bites (I couldn't believe he was still eating) I said, "What do you think?"

His reply, "Is this a trick question?"

I said laughingly, "No, what would make you think that?"

He said, "This is disgusting."

The kids and I couldn't hold our laughter in anymore.

I said, "Yeah, it's absolutely horrible. The kids and I took one bite and threw it away. We're waiting for you to take us out to dinner."

In hindsight I was surprised that he didn't know something was up since we were all sitting at the table watching him eat. He often gets home after dinner. I just heat it up for him and he eats. I usually sit with him and talk to him but the kids don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast forward to Dec 08 at Christmas. My mom had Christmas brunch at her house. She made a lot of dishes from my childhood. The one vegetable Perry detests is peas. So, if he's annoyed me or I've been bored that day I make sure to serve it at dinner, in front of the kids, so he has to eat it. I have actually caught him trying to put his peas (I usually give him an extra-large helping) onto one of the kids' plates.

Anyway.......we're getting off track here..........Perry and I were in a playful mood, or maybe only I was, but I usually drag him along and he asked me to dish up his plate and serve him. Knowing he would make it up to me later, I agreed, apparently a little too enthusiastically.

I walked over to get his food and he was already there. I assured him I had no problem getting his plate of food for him. He was laughing by now assuring me that he could get his own. I told him that I knew exactly what he likes and would happily serve him.

He looked at the food and knew his plate would have been full of pea/kidney bean salad.

He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment