Thursday, June 4, 2009

That could've gone better.

Today, M said, "Mom, I have had this bump under my chin for a long time. Come feel it." I walked over, put my fingers where he said and gently probed. Sure enough, there was a marble size lump there. A few minutes later I touched again and it had moved. He says he's had it growing for a couple of months.



So, instead of going to Homezone today we took M to the doctor. Clearly knowing where this could be heading I explained to M that he would probably need blood drawn. He has NEVER had any needle near his body so I knew this wasn't going to be great news. However, we are always honest with the kids about any procedures they may need to have.



So, being typical M style, he asked, "What is the percentage of chance that I am going to need blood drawn."



"About 50%," I replied. That was pretty high, he decided.



We arrived at the doctor's office and unfortunately, the doctor found more than one marble size lump. "First, we need blood work done," he said. "We should get it back tomorrow and then he'll need to have a biopsy done." We discussed his other symptoms - dark circles under his eyes, lack of energy, sores not healing quickly........not sounding real positive at this point.



The doctor also looked at J's rash and decided it was probably the sunscreen, but gave him a cream to hopefully take it away.



We headed to their little room that is their lab. I had all the kids stand against a wall quietly while I talked quietly with M. I totally bribed him with something I knew he wanted and he walked fearfully to the chair. I explained to the lab tech guy that he has never had blood drawn or had a needle near his body so he was very scared. The guy was quiet and efficient.



M was shaking so hard his whole body was moving. He had a death grip on my hand, with silent tears running down his face. I was talking quietly, reassuringly. M told me he was going to throw up. I looked at his face in time to see his eyes roll back in his head and, thankfully, I managed to catch his head before it hit the chair.



Trying to support his upper body while the lab tech removed the needle the lab tech asked J to go get a doctor while I told S and J-man to go out in the hall with E. The lab tech and I lowered M to the floor where he eventually came back to consciousness.



A doctor came in. They transferred him to a room and put cold wash clothes on his face and belly (all his pain centers in his belly when he's upset), gave him some apple juice and we stayed there for awhile.



Eventually...........around 20 - 30 minutes later, E helped M to the suburban. I had shopping planned, sandals to buy, camping supplies to buy, etc, but M's face and lips were still so colorless that we just bought some lunch instead and came home.



I talked to M about being strong mentally for what his future is going to hold. I know he doesn't get it, nor am I going to scare him, but this isn't over for him. Next week, unless the blood work is horrible - which would land us in the ER, M is going to go to a pathologist and get a biopsy.

Prayers for his well-being are greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I am praying for your little guy right now. I'm holding onto hope that these could be fatty deposits, or something of equal non-importance. God is holding you tightly, and I will pray for HIS PEACE to cover your family through this.
    In Him,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete