They kept telling her it was perfectly normal to feel a sense of loss, WTH?, to feel weak, to want the cast back on, etc. "Here have some stickers. It will make you feel better."
While they were going on and on about her sense of loss I was getting Tylenol out of my purse and shoving it in her mouth.
After getting an x-ray the doctor came in and said the same things the nurse said. I repeated that, "She was really looking forward to getting the cast off. She's not mourning its loss. Contrary to what you have seen from her, she has a really high pain tolerance and this is clearly hurting her quite badly."
The x-ray shows the bones have filled in nicely although they need to continue to fill in. One bone has filled in the outside, but the inside is still clearly showing a break. This will continue to fill in over time and within 6 months should not show at all. Her wrist will continue to heal and shouldn't be bent by then either.
I was just wanting to get her out of the office so I could better determine the amount/cause of pain. Perry's work was 5 minutes away so we headed there.
What a balm Perry was to her soul. Okay...the pain meds were also starting to take affect, but his presence is such a comforting presence to be in. He looked at her tear-streaked face and gently picked her up and cradled her in his arms whispering sweet nothings to her. She cried on his shoulder, he bought her an ice cream from the vending machine and we went to his office for awhile.
She then told Perry the whole story, which made her feel a lot better. And......the pain meds had finally kicked in fully by then. She ended the story with, "I don't get why they thought stickers would stop the pain. How would stickers take pain away?"
Yes, she was indeed serious. I didn't get it either.
Perry took us out to lunch. God bless those pain meds.
She is fine tonight. She has taken a bath, had more pain meds, cleaned her arm, lotioned her arm. She is able to take the splint off and on by herself.
She will have it on for a month at which time we will go back for another x-ray. Hopefully one that will show a completely healed bone.
In the meantime she can use it if she is careful. And careful we will all be.
Update - No matter how many times I edit this post it will not space properly. So, just pretend there are paragraphs.
Update - No matter how many times I edit this post it will not space properly. So, just pretend there are paragraphs.
No comments:
Post a Comment