Saturday, May 2, 2009

Loquacious

Just so we remember life as it really happened..........

Getting out of the house in the morning when we are going to be gone for the whole day is always an ambitious endeavor. Waking every morning with a headache makes it even more so. When the weather is warmer we are gone a lot and don't keep the car as clean as I would like........

We were only 10 minutes late from the time I wanted to leave the house. The kids were waiting in the car. I grabbed, my purse, coffee, 2 sets of keys, cell phone, Serena's water, the letter I wanted to mail, the book I wanted to read, the snacks I packed and headed out the door, stopping to juggle everything while I locked the deadbolt. Only a couple of things fell out of my hands.

I opened the suburban door, climbed in to hear, "I'm not buckled yet." from Serena. J-man climbed back up to buckle her, stepping on her coat, knocking the DVD player to the floor, telling Serena she cannot eat the food from yesterday.

While this is going on, I'm watching J put his feet on everything that is in the front, on the floor instead of moving it or, better yet, getting out and throwing it away.

You can see where this is going, yes?

I start the suburban, pull out only to say, "You have all been sitting in here while I have been scrambling around trying to get everything together so we can leave on time. If you don't get Serena buckled, who has to do it? Yep, me! If you are stepping on trash and don't go throw it in the garbage, who has to do it? Me, again." The tirade went on for whatever more examples I could think of and ended with me saying while looking at each of them through the mirror, "Life is not all about you and your individual needs and wants. If you see something that needs to be done. Don't wait, just do it. It is not just about you."

M, my darling almost 10 yo then replied, "Mom."

"Yes, M?" I gritted out.

"It's not all about you either. The way you make it sound, it's all about what you want."

I took a deep breath and replied, "M, your mouth is going to get you into so much trouble."

We then left, had a wonderful day and I can almost laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment