Sunday, May 24, 2009

Alpha Male

Yesterday, we were fortunate enough to witness a "battle" for Alpha Male in this family. I'm always surprised when we "go there" because the winner is never-changing.



It is always Perry.




However, being a woman and mom it is interesting to watch. A family, in which, there are 5 males. I assumed that, at least, one or two of the boys would have more passive personalities.




Alas, it is not so. So, S and I generally stand back and watch (at least when Perry's there - and let me tell you how glad I am he's in this family) the males of this family posture for dominance.





It's been in the last year that the personalities have clashed so mightily. Due, I suspect to the over-abundance of testosterone that has flowed/is still flowing through their bodies changing them into men.





I don't think M and J-man would be quite so embroiled in the Alpha Male thing, and for the most part just stand back and watch and learn, if E and J weren't vying for position. M and J-man are even closer in age so I suspect we will go through this with them together also.






I certainly wonder what S thinks when she watches this unfold. Being the youngest girl with 4 alpha personality brothers. Living this will certainly shape the woman she will become. Let's just say she's good at holding her own.





She is used to being treated like a little lady. We put high importance on boys/men being gentlemen.





Perry is very gentlemanly towards women, especially S and I. The boys watch and learn from him. They are expected to hold open doors for elderly, women and girls. They are expected to step aside and let elderly, women and girls go first. S totally takes advantage of this, reminding them when they forget. What are sisters for!






The challenge here is to allow them to be who they are without completely crushing their spirits and natural tendencies.



I want to add that I wrote this post days ago and, apparently, Perry put everyone nicely, but firmly in their place and the planets are aligned again and all is well and calm again.

No comments:

Post a Comment