Yesterday, E and J went to a birthday party. That left us 3 hours to entertain the younger 3 an hour away from home. After doing a couple of errands, we took them out to eat and then to a playground/park.
During our car ride we somehow started talking about public school. For some unknown reason to Perry and I the younger kids have determined that they will only be going to public school for a year and then I will be homeschooling them again.
What?
That was news to us. I think we set the record straight, but then, again, I thought we had the first time too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Serena and I have made many rounds to doctor appointments this week. I decided to pick up Krispy Kreme donuts for the boys since they are so healthy and all. When Serena and I stepped up to pay, a person, about 6'2", with bleach blonde on top, black underneath, long hair, dressed in skin tight white pants, with a light colored turquoise v-neck t-shirt and yellow button down shirt wearing flip-flops, stepped aside to make room for us. I had a sense of where this would head, but............
Serena looked up and up and up and then down and down and back up again. ......I decided long ago that if people are going to dress in a way that attracts attention, then they deserve the looks/questions my kids give them. I am not talking about things that are out of a person's control, but piercings, skin tight clothing, spiked/colored hair, etc.
Normally, I would just start talking to the person my daughter or son was looking at. I figure just because they look different doesn't actually mean they are inside and I'm usually right. There have been exceptions, but with the bright colored clothing........In this instance my voice froze. I just couldn't tell whether this person was a man or a woman. Talk about making an awkward situation even more awkward.
Finally, said person, spoke. In his deep masculine voice he commented about Serena's hot pink cast. That opened up dialogue and we continued chattering until we finished paying and left. He was really funny and made the most of an awkward situation.
When we drove away Serena said, "Do you think that was a man or a woman?"
"I think it was a man. Did you hear his deep voice."
"I don't know mom, he looks like a woman." Then she starts giggling and rehashes the whole visit out loud on the drive home.
Just in case I wasn't there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J is going to go back to the middle school this week. The first impression we all had wasn't great. At this point, we have enrolled the 4 other kids in public school for next year, but not J. I have made lots of phone calls and finally connected with a man who will be his counselor next year. I explained that J was the most excited about going to public school, but after visiting is now the least excited. I asked if there was some way he could think of that we could come back, visit and leave with a better impression.
Mr. C, the counselor, is going to try again. I don't know what he's going to show J, but he is going to offer to let J shadow a student. I don't know if J wants to do that, but I am encouraging him to do so.
J also has a choice of band or art/technology next year. He's not at all interested in art and already knows the technology they will teach so he's going to take band. That gives him exactly 4.2 months to learn an instrument. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J will go in on Wednesday to start the whole braces process. He'll have them for 18 months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kids only have 6 more weeks to go before their online classes will be over. We are ready for that break. We will continue our schooling until the end of June, along with math during the summer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment