Thursday, April 9, 2009

Letter to J - 12th Birthday

What a year this has been for you. Your body has changed from boy to man. The hormones that flow through allowing this to happen have manifested themselves in many ways. Sometimes the testosterone is so thick in the house that S and I can barely wade through.

You are still close to your dad. However, your protectiveness of me is ever-present. It's kind of interesting to see your dad's influence in how he treats his wife. You and E often treat me how your dad treats me. I think your wife will be fortunate to have you. I pray for your wife as she's growing up.

This has been the first year that you and E can ride into town on your bikes by yourselves. The first time you have stayed home alone. The first time you have been in charge at home while I am gone. The first time in men's size clothing. The first time in your own bedroom. The first time on the other side of the house from your dad and I. The first time I've seen older girls "check you out." I want to tell them that you are ONLY 11 YEARS OLD. I can tell they think you are older. The first time that you are allowed to have a fire outside, in the pit, without an adult present.

The first year, in which, I can tell that you feel more like a man than a child. That in between time that makes it easier for me to someday see you as a man with your own family. Me, wanting, for you, what your dad and I have and more.

This year, your moods fluctuate wildly. You hate it. I don't blame you. I hate it when it happens to me too. However, dear son of mine, I can honestly tell you that you will work through it, come out a stronger boy/man, and be a better person because of it. It's all a part of God refining us.

I hope that your twelfth year is one of your best years. Your dad will challenge you physically. It's his plan to direct the testosterone in the house into a positive direction. You may as well accept it.

This will be the first year in which you attend a public school. That will bring on lots of new, exciting adventures for you. Remember, education now, girls later. ;-)

All my love to you Dear Son. I still remember you when you were 18 mo old, sitting on the counter playing in the sink while I did the dishes. You were jabbering away to me, smiling, stopping to hug me with your wet/soapy hands, completely enjoying yourself. I was enjoying you too. You were my little shadow. All of you were until you were between 3-4. I loved it and cherished it.

May your life be full of God and lots of fun adventures. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment