Pain relief for Little Miss is the pits, we're finding out, with a broken bone. The pain relief of choice for a broken bone would be an anti-inflammatory, which she can't have. She came home from the hospital on oxycodone - all was well. It was a small amount to take 1.5 ml and I would give her separate Tylenol. We were running out of oxycodone so the doctor prescribed a generic coding with Tylenol - 5 ml.
It was the nastiest tasting medicine. It became a fight every time. Therefore, Little Miss and I were (still are) getting very, very little sleep. She would toss and turn from the pain, but refuse to take the medicine. Forcing her doesn't work because it was making her stomach sick anyway and she would just throw up.
Yesterday, I called the pharmacy to see if they could make it taste a little less like taking a shot of whiskey. They said they couldn't, but call a compounding pharmacy close to us who flavors medicines. I did that. S and I then headed into Fall City, the pharmacy is called Fall's Compounding Pharmacy, to find out that we had passed it and it was in Snoqualmie. Okkeedokkeee.
I paid the $10 happily to have this vile liquid flavored with grape. Little Miss refused to taste test, but I did and even though it is still bad, at least the aftertaste is grape instead of whiskey-flavored. Incidentally, I really, really liked the pharmacy and am going to check to see if they take our insurance.
I can't say last night went any better, it's hard for S to realize that she is in pain and that is what is keeping her awake. However, this morning she took her medicine with out gagging and complaining.
I do feel for her. She just doesn't know what to do with her arm that hurts so much. I hope she takes a nap so that, at least, one of us is getting some sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment