Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Cast

Today was the big day for Little Miss to get a cast on. After an hour wait....not sure why, they re-x-rayed the break. Turns out it is still a little bit too broken. The doctor wasn't comfortable removing the splint to put on a hard cast. She was concerned that the bones would move out of place because there is not enough new bone growth to keep it in place yet. So, she put a hot pink, sparkly cast on over the splint. In 2 weeks we will take her in and repeat the process, hopefully getting a new cast.

Serena is able to move all her fingers now, but the first and second she has to really think about moving before they will move and bending them is quite difficult. It is possible that this will just go away as the swelling continues to go down and the break continues to heal itself.

I was so very glad that I had given her some pain meds an hour before her appointment because the maneuvering of her fingers was painful even with the meds. She handled it quite well and just let them do their thing but I could tell it hurt her and she is in more pain tonight than usual. This was not unexpected and the doctor and I had discussed her pain regimen and Perry is going to pick up more of the same pain meds.

We were so close to Perry's work that we stopped to visit him and he introduced us to his new team. Even though it's been 6 months, the kids and I hardly ever go to his work now that he is working in Redmond again. We went quite often when he was working in Issaquah because it was much closer.

My jaw is so much better today than yesterday. Yesterday I was back in to the dentist the pain was so horrible and had been since the surgery. He put me on stronger pain meds and a steroidal anti inflammatory. What a HUGE difference 24 hours has made. Today, the pain is bearable and I'm hoping it just continues to get better. The dentist said to expect another week or two before healing.

The boys are continuing to do their work despite all the difficulties of S and I. I am thankful for that, but they would sure like their mom back painfree.

No comments:

Post a Comment