Due to my jaw surgery, Perry decided, with a little help from me, to work from home.
I woke up, Perry gave me pain meds because I was in so much pain I couldn't actually move or at least I didn't want to move. An hour later the pain was such that I decided to join the rest of the family. Just want to put in here that if it hadn't been J's birthday I wouldn't have gotten out of bed.
I showed J his Birthday Letter. I'm sure it touched him and made him feel all sorts of special.
Little Miss and I hurriedly got ready and Perry took us all out to the Spaghetti Factory for J's birthday lunch/dinner (we bought extra so I wouldn't have to cook tonight). I was actually able to eat 1/2 c of food before I just gave up. I took more of my pain meds hoping that they would take affect and we could take J to the Lego store.
They didn't take affect so Perry took the non-birthday kids and I home before going in to work for a meeting. He took J to work with him so the rest of us could decorate his cake.
I took a different type of pain med when I got home because I really wanted to decorate J's cake. The night before E had made the cake so it would be cool for us to decorate. During this time my mom stopped by to see how I was doing. M came to tell us that the dishwasher Grandma gave us is broken because there are suds coming out of it.
M loaded the dishwasher as per Perry's instructions to him. When he started it he put in dishwashing liquid instead of the white powder dish soap that I keep in a jar under the sink. There were suds covering 1/4 of the kitchen floor and the dishwasher was making more every single second. It was totally great. Not.
I'm so glad my mom was here because I wouldn't have been able to clean it up anyway. She enlisted E's help and M's and did whatever they did to clean it up while I went back and laid down.
After about 45 minutes I felt like I could actually move enough to decorate. Now......seems all of us had an idea about how to decorate a "Lego Cake".
I started out explaining that I was going to do it my way. Then.......I felt guilty. It doesn't actually have to be perfect. Right? It's the thought and fact that everyone wants to do this for J that is what is important. Right? It doesn't really matter if there is cake showing through the frosting. Right?
I had three bricks to frost. I let M - red, J-man - blue and S - yellow pick the color they wanted their brick to be. E helped make the tops of the bricks. In the end, it all came together. We all decided how to arrange the bricks. There were a few too many figures on it, but, J liked it and it tasted like food coloring and sugar, so all was well. Shhhh......I know food coloring doesn't taste, but S sure thinks it does.
Perry and J arrived home. We lit candles, sang happy birthday and devoured the cake.
We wrote wishes/prayers on J's 12, green balloons, went outside and let them go while praying for J's future. We watched them until they disappeared, reflecting on life.
We all piled in the Suburban and drove to Snoqualmie Falls, just to be. It was a cool night. So beautiful.
Happy 12th birthday J.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment