I'm sure everyone drives by people, standing at intersections, holding signs lamenting lack of work, lack of home and/or lack of food. We have our fair share of this and go through phases where we stop and help. Today, was one of those days. It's always awkward knowing we have so much, but there is always the overriding thought that Perry works hard for our family.
E and I were driving away from Costco. We were each getting ready to take a bite of pizza when we saw this thin, twenty-something man holding a sign that said, "Homeless. Out of work. Anything is helpful. Starving."
Neither of us could take that bite of pizza. We had both lost our appetites. The light turned green. Off we went. I looked at E. E looked at me. "Want to go back and give him the pizza that's left in the box," I said. E was relieved.
We circled around, pulled back into Costco's parking lot. E asked if he could also give him some bottled water. "Of course," I replied. He took the 6-7 remaining pieces of pizza and a bottle of water, ran across the intersection and handed them to the extremely grateful looking man.
My heart broke as he dropped to the lawn, opened that bottle of water and chugged half of it. When we pulled back up to the intersection, ready to go home, he yelled, "Thank you so much."
One more memory for E and I. We've talked about this off and on today. It's often hard to know what is the right thing to do. This, felt right, but still weighs heavy on our hearts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment