What must it be like to live through so much history? To have one's views challenged as life continues and times change?
To embrace life.
Live life.
To people, it's history. To a person living, it's just their life, I would imagine.
It was wonderful to hug and feel Great Mother. Her skin is so soft and silky. Her eyes so sharp. Her mind so sharp.
We arrived in the late afternoon. I was so tired and thankful when E dominated the conversation. Just soaking in the familiar, but not, surroundings. Pictures, knick-knacks I've seen since I was a child. Memories returning of times running through her house, sliding through a heater vent in the floor, running through the living room that overlooked Resurrection Bay, back up the stairs, back through the heater vent.
Remembering staying the night with Great Mother in a huge building, that was her "house". It was later bought by the city of Seward, I think. She would bathe me in these huge utility sinks, washing my hair so gently, drying it so that it didn't tangle. Brushing it out so carefully. I specifically remember the drying because my hair has always tangled easily due to the curls and I have tried to copy what I remember her doing when I now dry my own hair and Little Miss's hair.
Listening to my oldest son talk so eloquently of life. Amazed that we were there sitting in front of her, seeing her face. It seemed like it had been forever and just yesterday at the same time. To us, she looked the same even though it's been 10 years since we've seen her.
Watching M lay on her couch, completely comfortable in her presence. M has always been my "radar" for people. He was 100% comfortable, although was very concerned and asked, maybe not quietly enough, what was wrong with Great Mother's hands. "Feel them M, if you get the chance. They are sooooo soft." I replied. I need to ask him if he got the chance.
Little Miss traipsing up and down the stairs, blessing us with her presence and then, apparently, blessing Aunt and Uncle with her presence. She really enjoyed Aunt and Uncle.
She sat in Great Mother's lap telling her a story. Little Miss was concerned about hurting Great Mother so that didn't last long. That was my fault. I didn't know what to expect so had told the kids to be extra special careful and considerate. I might've gone a little overboard!!!
The second day, J dominated the conversation. He talked more than I've heard him talk to one person in a long time. Just telling stories of our life. I was surprised. He was just relaxed and as animated as can be, sitting in a chair a couple feet from Great Mother.
J-man came more into play this day also. He would wander in and out. Talking, saying nothing, just talking. Just enjoying family. Enjoying being in the presence of this woman he's heard so much about.
It was nice to see my Aunt. It's been awhile.
We then headed down to Seward and on our return to Anchorage the night before we left were very sick. That was unfortunate. I was able to see Great Mother once more while Perry took the sick kids to buy souvenirs and back to our campground. Many thanks to him while I also visited a girlfriend and laughed and laughed and stayed out quite late.
I talk to Great Mother often. I didn't have anything to tell her that she didn't already know. Just being in her presence and letting the kids get to know their Great Grandmother was heavenly. A dream come true for all of us.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment